Lawson leads Creighton over Evansville 72-64Jan 3, 2010 - 10:43 PM EVANSVILLE, Ind.(AP) -- Kenny Lawson posted his second straight double-double to help Creighton fight off Evansville 72-64 Sunday.
Lawson had 18 points and 11 rebounds as the Bluejays (6-8, 1-2 Missouri Valley) picked up their first road victory. Justin Carter scored 14 and Cavel Witter 12, Lawson blocked a career-high seven shots and P'Allen Stinnett made the 100th 3-pointer of his career.
Evansville freshman Colt Ryan rebounded from a scoreless game Friday at Northern Iowa to explode for 26 points, including 6 of 11 on 3-pointers. Denver Holmes added 10 points for the Purple Aces (6-7, 0-3).
Creighton led by 14 before Evansville trimmed it to 56-50. Then Ryan hit a 2-pointer and a pair of 3-pointers to put the Purple Aces ahead 58-56 with 7:36 to go.
But Lawson broke a 60-60 tie on a three-point play with 4:57 to go as part of Creighton's 16-4 run to finish the game.
- NCAA BB
EVANSVILLE 64 FINAL
Jan 3 5:01 PM
- NCAA BB
EVANSVILLE 32 HALFTIME
Jan 3 4:01 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Evansville claims CIT title over Northern Arizona Apr 2
- Northern Arizona and Evansville clash for CIT crown Apr 2
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12
- Arcidiacono, Villanova tops Creighton Mar 3
- Creighton seeks upset of No. 4 Villanova Mar 3
- Northern Iowa handles Evansville Feb 25
- Purple Aces hope to play spoiler in clash with Panthers Feb 25