Bethune-Cookman beats Long Island 78-69Jan 5, 2010 - 3:35 AM DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.(AP) -- C.J. Reed's 18 points led five players in double figures as Bethune-Cookman University defeated Long Island University 78-69 on Monday night.
Alexander Starling added 15 points and 14 rebounds for the Wildcats (8-6), who earned their seventh win in their last ten games. Jarrell Thomas scored 14 points, while Albert Abrahams added 11 rebounds.
The Wildcats grabbed the lead for good with 13:50 left in the first half when Miller completed a three-point play to make it 6-5. They gained a seven-point halftime lead, 36-29, and the margin was never any closer in the second period.
LIU (4-9) was led by 15 points and 10 rebounds from Arnold Mayorga. It was the Blackbirds' sixth straight loss.
Jaytornah Wisseh scored 14 points for the Blackbirds, who could not overcome their poor 38.7 percent shooting (24-for-62).
- Bethune-Cookman beats Trinity Baptist 108-54 in opener Nov 13
- James Madison advances in win over Long Island Mar 21
- Blackbirds, Dukes clash in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 20
- LIU Brooklyn downs Mount St. Mary's, wins NEC title Mar 12
- NEC crown up for grabs as Blackbirds take on Mountaineers Mar 12
- Kentucky shoots the lights out against Long Island Nov 24
- LIU promotes Perri to head coach Apr 11
- Green's triple-double leads MSU past Long Island Mar 17
- Spartans hope to avoid upset in NCAA Tourney clash with Blackbirds Mar 16
- Norfolk State earns 1st NCAA tourney bid by besting Bethune-Cookman Mar 10
- MEAC title up for grabs in Winston-Salem Mar 10
- Long Island handles Robert Morris for NEC title Mar 7