Old Dominion cruises past Towson 87-71Jan 5, 2010 - 2:53 AM TOWSON, Md.(AP) -- Gerald Lee scored 19 points and Ben Finney added 17 as Old Dominion defeated Towson 87-71 on Monday night.
The Monarchs (10-5, 2-1 Colonial Athletic Association), who have won four of their last five games, never trailed and led by as many as 13 points in the first half.
The Tigers (3-9, 0-3) trimmed a 38-31 halftime deficit to 38-36 with 18:52 left - keyed by Robert Nwankwo's two baskets - but could get no closer. Old Dominion had a 47-45 advantage when the Monarchs used a 16-4 run to pull away with 10:11 remaining.
Frank Hassell scored 15 points and Kent Bazemore added 14 for Old Dominion, which outshot Towson from the floor 54 percent (34-for-63) to 48.3 percent (28-for-38).
Nwankwo led Towson, which has lost four straight games, with 18 points on 8-for-10 shooting from the field. Josh Thornton added 13 for the Tigers and was 4-for-8 from beyond the arc.
- Scoring spree: ODU guard Trey Freeman putting up big numbers Feb 17
- Western Kentucky knocks off No. 25 ODU Jan 10
- Western Kentucky hosts No. 25 Old Dominion Jan 10
- Newly ranked ODU rolls past Marshall Jan 8
- No. 25 Old Dominion takes aim at Marshall Jan 8
- Old Dominion knocks off cold-shooting VCU Nov 30
- 14th-ranked Rams butt heads with Monarchs Nov 29
- Skerry's contract extended through 2020 May 2
- Wiggins leads Kansas past Towson Nov 22
- Towson hits road to challenge No. 2 Kansas Nov 22
- Towson's Skerry given contract extension Aug 15
- Jeff Jones named coach at Old Dominion Apr 4