Poderis' FT lifts ETSU past S.C.-Upstate 63-62Jan 4, 2010 - 10:53 PM SPARTANBURG, S.C.(AP) -- Lukas Poderis made a free throw with 14 seconds left to lift East Tennessee State to a 63-62 win over South Carolina-Upstate on Monday.
South Carolina-Upstate's Carter Cook missed a layup seven seconds later after Poderis' free throw that would've won the game.
The Pirates (7-7, 3-0 Atlantic Sun Conference) took a 62-56 lead with 3:53 to play on a dunk by Micah Williams, who finished with 12 points and five rebounds. The Spartans (1-12, 1-3) answered with a 6-0 run, capped by Mezie Uzochukwu's free throw to tie the game at 62-62 with 57 seconds remaining.
But Poderis, who finished with 14 points and shot 8 of 10 from the free throw line, hit the go-ahead free throw to put ETSU up for good. Tommy Hubbard led the Pirates with 21 points and nine rebounds.
Cedric Koffi and Pat Posey each scored 12 points for South Carolina-Upstate. Uzochukwu had 11 points and 10 rebounds.
- NCAA BB
EAST TENN ST 63
USC UPSTATE 62 FINAL
Jan 4 4:03 PM
- NCAA BB
EAST TENN ST 47
USC UPSTATE 36 HALFTIME
Jan 4 2:53 PM
- East Tennessee State tabs Forbes as new men's basketball coach Mar 31
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Strong second half lifts Maryland over USC Upstate Dec 13
- 19th-ranked Terps tangle with Spartans Dec 13
- No. 4 Arizona blasts East Tennessee State Dec 23
- Bucs seek upset of fourth-ranked Wildcats Dec 22
- North Carolina crushes East Tennessee State Dec 9
- No. 20 Tar Heels take on Buccaneers Dec 8
- USC Upstate gives Payne extension Oct 26
- Buckeyes handle Spartans, Sullinger solid in return Dec 15
- Buckeyes and Spartans square off in Columbus Dec 14
- Bledsoe's eight 3s lead Kentucky past ETSU 100-71 Mar 19