Belmont defeats Stetson 85-71Jan 5, 2010 - 4:12 AM NASHVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Ian Clark scored 31 points and Belmont withstood a second-half rally to defeat Stetson 85-71 on Monday night.
The Bruins (8-6, 3-1 Atlantic Sun Conference) shot 52.9 percent (18 of 34) and held the Hatters to 25.9 percent shooting (7 of 27) in the first half for a 46-20 lead at halftime.
Stetson (3-9, 1-3) opened the second half on a 21-9 run to pull within 55-41 on Joel Naburgs' 3-pointer with 13:53 to go.
The Hatters would later turn three straight steals into baskets and pull within 60-55 on a layup by A.J. Smith with 7:05 left.
Jon House then sparked the Bruins to six straight points starting on his dunk with 6:29.
Scott Saunders added 17 points for Belmont, which shot 50 percent from the field (25 of 50).
Smith finished with 20 points, Brandon Williams had 13, Ridge Graham 12 and Naburgs added 11 for the Hatters.
- Stetson makes intriguing run to A-Sun final against FGCU Mar 5
- Stetson routs Albany State (Ga) 95-69 Dec 16
- Virginia staves off upset bid from Belmont Mar 20
- Belmont battles Virginia in East Regional melee Mar 20
- Belmont shocks Murray State to win OVC crown Mar 7
- Racers and Bruins battle for OVC crown Mar 7
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8
- Randle helps Kentucky fend off Belmont Dec 21
- Wildcats set sights on Bruins Dec 21
- Belmont shocks No. 12 North Carolina Nov 17
- Belmont battles No. 12 North Carolina Nov 17