Scott, Landesberg lift Virginia past UTPA 72-53Jan 6, 2010 - 1:49 AM By HANK KURZ Jr. AP Sports Writer
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.(AP) -- Mike Scott scored 22 points, Sylven Landesberg had 20 and Virginia sent Texas-Pan American to its 10th consecutive loss Tuesday night, 72-53.
The Cavaliers (8-4) led by as many as 21 in a sloppy second half and won their fourth in a row for the first time in two seasons. They will take the winning streak into their Atlantic Coast Conference opener at North Carolina State on Saturday afternoon.
Texas-Pan American (1-15), whose only victory was by 61-50 against Chattanooga in the South Padre Island Invitational on Nov. 27, trailed 40-23 at halftime and never cut the deficit into single digits thereafter. The Broncs were led by Jared Maree with 14 points.
Sammy Zeglinski added 13 points and six assists for the Cavaliers, who were 56.6 percent from the field and were 7-for-12 from 3-point territory. Zeglinski made three 3s.
- NCAA BB
TX PAN AMERICAN 53
VIRGINIA 72 FINAL
Jan 5 8:35 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
TEXAS-PAN AMERICAN 23 23
VIRGINIA 40 40 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
TEXAS-PAN AMERICAN - LUIS VALERA 9, NICK WEIERMILLER 5,
JARED MAREE 4
VIRGINIA - MIKE SCOTT 12, SYLVEN LANDESBERG 11,
SAMMY ZEGLINSKI 8
Jan 5 7:39 PM
- Second-half collapse mars finish for Virginia's seniors Mar 28
- Top-seeded Virginia collapses late, loses 68-62 to Syracuse Mar 27
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Virginia will have to prove defensive chops against Cyclones Mar 22
- Weekend of upsets leaves Virginia as Midwest favorite Mar 20
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Brogdon, Gill look to help Virginia make deep run in tourney Mar 14
- Virginia's Brogdon: Lost year was a 'blessing' in disguise Mar 4
- No. 7 Tar Heels, No. 3 Cavaliers meet in marquee ACC matchup Feb 27