Rhode Island defeats Akron 68-63Jan 6, 2010 - 2:36 AM AKRON, Ohio(AP) -- Delroy James scored 11 of his 19 points during a rallying run by Rhode Island in a 68-63 win over Akron on Tuesday night.
The Rams (12-1) trailed 48-39 with 14:35 left before outscoring the Zips 17-6 over the next 7:48. James then hit two layups, a jump shot, two free throws and a three pointer before capping the run on a layup with 6:47 remaining for a 56-54 advantage. It was the Rams' first lead since being up 19-18 with 9:02 left in the first half.
Chris McKnight put the Zips (10-4) back ahead 58-57 on a layup with 4:44 left, but James answered on a 3-pointer 37 seconds later and the Rams wouldn't trail the rest of the way.
Lamonte Ulmer scored 20 points for Rhode Island, which won its eighth straight and snapped a six-game win streak by the Zips.
McKnight finished with 13 points and Nikola Cvetinovic added 12 for Akron.
- Rhode Island guard E.C. Matthews out for season Nov 14
- Hurley has new deal at Rhode Island Apr 2
- No. 17 VCU rallies to down Rhode Island Jan 13
- VCU and Rhode Island lock horns in A-10 tussle Jan 13
- Kansas beats URI to move on in Orlando Nov 27
- Rams butt heads with Jayhawks in Orlando Classic Nov 27
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska in OT Nov 23
- Rams butt heads with 21st-ranked Cornhuskers Nov 22
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Johnson paces Arizona past overmatched Rhode Island Nov 20
- Rams set to butt heads with fifth-ranked Wildcats Nov 19