North Carolina A&T defeats Carson-Newman 81-74Jan 6, 2010 - 3:25 AM GREENSBORO, N.C.(AP) -- Dwane Joshua scored a career-high 31 points in his first start at North Carolina A&T, adding 10 rebounds for his first career double-double, as the Aggies rallied to defeat Carson-Newman 81-74 on Tuesday night.
North Carolina A&T (5-9) squandered a nine-point first-half lead to trail 40-37 at halftime.
Behind 61-60 with 9:07 remaining, the Aggies used a 13-2 run to pull away and never let the Division II Eagles (6-6) closer than four points the rest of the way.
North Carolina A&T outshot Carson-Newman from the field in the second half 66.7 percent (16-for-24) to 37.5 percent (12-for-32).
Joshua was 11-for-17 from the floor and 5-for-7 from 3-point range. Nic Simpson added 17 points and Tavarus Alston had 16 for the Aggies.
J.J. Wesley led Carson-Newman with 24 points, 13 in the first half. Quinche Dowdell added 15 points, going 9-for-10 from the free throw line.
- Veteran North Carolina aims to end where it starts: at No. 1 Nov 2
- No. 12 Ohio State routs NC A&T Dec 17
- Hapless Aggies challenge mighty Buckeyes Dec 17
- Top-seeded Louisville cruises past N.C. A&T Mar 21
- Top-seeded Cardinals get tournament run underway against Aggies Mar 20
- Flame Out: NC A&T edges Liberty in Tourney opener Mar 19
- NCAA Tournament gets underway as Aggies take on Flames Mar 19
- NC A&T wins MEAC Mar 16
- MEAC crown up for grabs in clash between Aggies and Bears Mar 16
- Kilpatrick, Bearcats thump Aggies Nov 18
- Aggies face tall task in clash with 24th-ranked Bearcats Nov 18
- Morgan State defeats North Carolina A&T 84-57 Mar 10