South Carolina defeats Longwood 88-58Jan 6, 2010 - 6:00 AM COLUMBIA, S.C.(AP) -- Devan Downey scored 18 points to help South Carolina defeat Longwood 88-58 on Tuesday night and snap a two-game losing streak.
Downey scored 17 points in a first half in which the Gamecocks (9-5) pulled ahead by 23 points. The Lancers (3-13) weren't much of a threat the rest of the way in South Carolina's final nonconference game before the Southeastern Conference opener on Saturday.
The Gamecocks led 15-12 with about 11 minutes remaining before going on a 14-2 run.
Downey, Evaldas Baniulis and Brandis Raley-Ross each hit a 3-pointer during the run.
After a couple of Lancers (3-13) baskets, South Carolina closed the half on a 16-5 spurt to build a 47-24 lead at halftime.
Baniulis added 15 points to break out of a season-long shooting slump. He came in shooting 25.5 percent from the field and 26 percent from beyond the arc, but finished 5-for-8 on 3-pointers.
- South Carolina forward Raymond Doby leaving the program May 18
- South Carolina dismisses suspended players Gregory, Cobb Apr 4
- Gamecocks give men's coach Frank Martin 4-year extension Apr 1
- South Carolina got told it was in - except, it wasn't Mar 31
- Offseason questions loom for Frank Martin, South Carolina Mar 23
- 2 South Carolina players arrested over BB gun shooting Mar 17
- 5 South Carolina players suspended before NIT game Mar 15
- South Carolina moving on from NCAA snub Mar 14
- South Carolina looking to take next step at SEC Tournament Mar 8
- Big Week: South Carolina could move to top of SEC standings Feb 9
- No. 25 South Carolina looks for win at No. 8 Texas A&M Feb 5
- South Carolina looks to rebound at home after tough stretch Jan 25