The Citadel holds off Appalachian State 62-58Jan 7, 2010 - 2:57 AM BOONE, N.C.(AP) -- Cameron Wells scored 21 points and The Citadel held off Appalachian State in the second half to take a 62-58 victory on Wednesday night.
The Bulldogs (8-7, 2-1 Southern Conference) led 46-33 with 14:08 to play, but the Mountaineers (7-7, 1-2) used a 15-3 run to cut the margin to 49-48 with 6:24 left. Wells then hit a layup to preserve the lead.
Appalachian State cut the margin to 51-50 with 4:37 to play and 54-53 with 3:28 left, but each time the Bulldogs scored to keep their advantage.
Zach Urbanus' two free throws gave the Bulldogs a 62-56 lead with 6 seconds left.
Wells finished 8-for-13 from the field, but the Bulldogs shot only 42.9 percent from the field (21-for-49).
Austin Dahn added 14 points for The Citadel, hitting four of the Bulldogs' nine 3-pointers.
Donald Sims led Appalachian State with 22 points. Isaac Butts had 10 rebounds.
- NCAA BB
THE CITADEL 62
APPALACHIAN ST 58 FINAL
Jan 6 9:16 PM
- NCAA BB
THE CITADEL 34
APPALACHIAN ST 25 HALFTIME
Jan 6 8:18 PM
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- Spartans seek redemption in clash with Bulldogs Dec 22
- Fox named Appalachian State hoops coach Apr 8
- Appalachian State fires Capel Mar 10
- Davidson vs. Citadel moved to Monday due to storm Feb 11
- Missouri handles Appalachian State Dec 2
- Mountaineers face uphill climb in clash with 16th-ranked Tigers Dec 1
- Zeller and North Carolina cruise past App State Dec 17
- Hoyas bounce back with win over Appalachian State Dec 12
- Appalachian State hires Capel as new coach Apr 21
- Pacific topples Appalachian State 64-56 Mar 25
- Wofford beats Appalachian St, earns 1st NCAA berth Mar 9