Willen leads Lafayette over Columbia 91-74Jan 7, 2010 - 3:00 AM EASTON, Pa.(AP) -- Ryan Willen scored 27 points, including 16 in the second half, as Lafayette pulled away from Columbia to win 91-74 on Wednesday night.
Willen's layup and 3-pointer started a 10-0 second-half run by the Leopards (9-6) that put them ahead 62-53 with 11:47 remaining. The Lafayette spurt came just after the Lions (6-7) had taken their only lead since the game's opening 1:10.
Lafayette, which shot 60.4 percent (29-for-48) for the game, took a double-digit lead, 68-57, on Jeff Kari's layup with 9:23 left and never led by less than 11 the rest of the way.
The Leopards enjoyed a huge advantage at the free throw line, making 24 of 31, while Columbia was 9-for-16.
Jim Mower added 15 points, Jared Mintz 12 and Tony Johnson 11 for Lafayette.
Noruwa scored 26 points to lead Columbia, which also got 14 from Nico Scott and 13 from Asenso Ampim.
- Columbia hires Jim Engles as new basketball coach Apr 5
- Lo's 8 3s lead Columbia to 78-71 win over Robert Morris Dec 14
- Villanova trounces Lafayette in NCAA opener Mar 20
- Lafayette challenges No. 1 seed Villanova Mar 19
- Lafayette gets past American for Patriot League title Mar 11
- American and Lafayette meet for Patriot League title Mar 11
- No. 10 Kansas dominates Lafayette Dec 20
- Lafayette comes calling on No. 10 Kansas Dec 20
- No. 1 Kentucky rallies to beat Columbia Dec 10
- No. 1 Kentucky plays host to Columbia Dec 10
- No. 2 Michigan State holds off Columbia Nov 15
- Lions hit road seeking upset of second-ranked Spartans Nov 15