Northern Iowa rolls past Southern Illinois 61-49Jan 7, 2010 - 4:42 AM CARBONDALE, Ill.(AP) -- Jordan Eglseder had 17 points and 14 rebounds Wednesday night to help Northern Iowa to a 61-49 victory over Southern Illinois.
Adam Koch and Johnny Moran each added 11 points for the Panthers (13-1, 4-0 Missouri Valley), who never trailed and led by as many as 25 points midway through the second half.
Tony Freeman, with 13 points, was the only player in double figures for the Salukis (9-4, 2-2).
Northern Iowa scored the game's first nine points, made 50 percent of its shots in the first half in building a 36-20 halftime lead. The Panthers slumped to 26 percent in the second half to finish at 39 percent, and made just six field goals after halftime, but went 10-for-14 from the free-throw line after the break.
Southern Illinois shot 35 percent for the game, and trailed by double digits for all but the game's first five minutes.
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Northern Iowa gives Jacobson a new 10-year deal Apr 2
- Rozier, Louisville top UNI to reach 4th straight Sweet 16 Mar 23
- East Regional action pits Cards against Panthers Mar 22
- UNI holds off Wyoming Mar 20
- East Regional action pits Wyoming against Northern Iowa Mar 20
- Northern Iowa claims Missouri Valley title Mar 8
- Redbirds tangle with Panthers for MVC Tournament title Mar 8
- Northern Iowa downs Loyola to reach MVC final Mar 7