Long Island U. defeats Robert Morris 74-64Jan 8, 2010 - 3:57 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Kyle Johnson scored 22 points, including five in the final minute, to help Long Island University hold off Robert Morris 74-64 on Thursday night in a matchup of unbeaten Northeast Conference teams.
The Blackbirds (5-9, 3-0) snapped a six-game skid and are off to their best conference start since the 1996-97 season, when they started 5-0 and advanced to the NCAA Tournament.
Robert Morris (7-8, 2-1) led 44-41 with 12:07 left before Michael Culpo's 3-pointer tied the game and began a 14-2 run that gave Long Island University the lead for good.
The Colonials pulled within a point on three occasions, the last at 62-61 on Karon Abraham's 3 with 4 minutes left.
Jamal Olasewere's foul shot and Jaytornah Wisseh's jumper made it 65-61 with 2:07 remaining.
Kenny Onyechi added a career-high 17 points for the Blackbirds.
Rob Robinson led the Colonials with 13 points.
- NCAA BB
ROBERT MORRIS 64
LONG ISLAND 74 FINAL
Jan 7 9:33 PM
- NCAA BB
ROBERT MORRIS 31
LONG ISLAND 29 HALFTIME
Jan 7 8:19 PM
- Toole gets extension at Robert Morris Apr 15
- Duke crushes Robert Morris in NCAA opener Mar 21
- Colonials and Blue Devils mix it up in NCAA Tourney Mar 20
- Robert Morris rallies past North Florida in First Four Mar 18
- Colonials and Ospreys clash in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Robert Morris downs St. Francis-NY for NEC crown Mar 10
- Terriers take on Colonials in NEC title tilt Mar 10
- No. 6 Tar Heels beat Robert Morris 103-59 Nov 17
- Colonials tangle with sixth-ranked Tar Heels Nov 16
- Mount St. Mary's and Robert Morris meet in NEC title tilt Mar 11
- Forte, Cowboys crush Colonials Dec 31
- Cowboys clash with Colonials in non-league fray Dec 30