Youngstown State defeats Illinois-Chicago 76-67Jan 8, 2010 - 3:47 AM YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio(AP) -- Vytas Sulskis scored 17 points and Youngstown State defeated Illinois-Chicago 76-67 on Thursday night.
DeAndre Mays added 15 points and Sirlester Martin chipped in 12 for the Penguins (6-8, 1-4 Horizon League).
Youngstown State led 56-55 with 9:01 remaining and outscored the Flames 21-12 the rest of the way to snap a two-game losing streak.
After the Penguins shot 56 percent (14 of 25) to lead 39-35 at halftime, Illinois-Chicago (5-10, 1-4) opened the second half on a 7-2 run. The Flames took their first lead of the game, 42-41, on K.C. Robins' layup with 17:48 to play.
The game remained close until Youngstown State went on a 7-2 run and led 56-51 on a basket by Sulskis with 10:58 left.
Jeremy Buttell scored 31 points and grabbed 12 rebounds for the Flames.
Robo Kreps, who was averaging 18 points in the Flames' last eight games, finished with 13.
- Youngstown State beats Robert Morris 65-58 Dec 2
- Youngstown St. tops N. Dakota 79-69 for Slocum's 700th win Nov 23
- UIC hires McClain as men's basketball coach Mar 23
- Illinois-Chicago fires Moore Mar 10
- UIC gives Moore contract extension Apr 17
- Illinois-Chicago stuns No. 12 Illinois Dec 18
- UIC coach Collins retires after 14 seasons Jul 20
- Wisconsin-Milwaukee advances in Horizon, 73-67 Mar 2
- Wisconsin-Green Bay ousts Youngstown State 81-67 Mar 2
- Wisconsin-Milwaukee tops Illinois-Chicago 78-74 Feb 27
- Detroit defeats Youngstown State 62-54 Feb 27
- Wright State edges Youngstown State 76-73 Feb 25