Fairfield holds off Loyola 65-60Jan 9, 2010 - 4:32 AM BRIDGEPORT, Conn.(AP) -- Anthony Johnson had 14 points and Derek Needham scored 13 - including 10 in the last 3:58 - as Fairfield held off Loyola (Md.) 65-60 on Friday night.
The Stags (11-4, 4-1 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) led 49-38 with 10:41 left, but the Greyhounds (8-7, 1-4) used a 15-5 run to pull within 54-53 with 5:02 remaining. Needham, a freshman who has been named MAAC Rookie of the Week five times, then scored all eight of Fairfield's points in an 8-2 run to make it 62-55.
After Robert Olson's layup with 22 seconds left pulled Loyola within 63-60, Needham sank two free throws with 19 seconds to go to seal the win. The Greyhounds missed two layups in the final 8 seconds, with Johnson blocking Shane Walker's attempt with 2 seconds left to finish with four blocks.
Jamal Barney scored 12 points to lead the Greyhounds and Olson added 10.
Loyola outrebounded Fairfield 32-29.
- NCAA BB
LOYOLA MD 60
FAIRFIELD 65 FINAL
Jan 8 11:06 PM
- NCAA BB
LOYOLA MD 31
FAIRFIELD 35 HALFTIME
Jan 8 9:55 PM
- No. 4 Duke reaches triple digits in rout of Fairfield Nov 15
- No. 4 Duke gets right back to work against Fairfield Nov 15
- Late surge gets No. 13 UConn past Loyola Nov 27
- Greyhounds hoping to run past 13th-ranked Huskies Nov 26
- Harrell lifts Louisville over Fairfield Nov 23
- Hall of Fame Tip Off pits Cardinals against Stags Nov 23
- Loyola-Maryland promotes Smith to head coach Apr 12
- Report: Loyola-Maryland extends Patsos Mar 28
- Thomas pours in 31 as Ohio State routs Loyola-Maryland Mar 16
- Buckeyes battle Greyhounds to begin tournament run Mar 15
- Loyola-Maryland captures first MAAC title since '94 Mar 6
- Stags and Greyhounds meet for MAAC Tournament title Mar 5