Butler defeats Wright State 77-65Jan 9, 2010 - 2:30 AM DAYTON, Ohio(AP) -- Mark Shelvin scored 21 points and Gordon Hayward added 20 to help Butler defeat Wright State 77-65 on Friday night.
The Bulldogs (11-4, 4-0 Horizon League) shot 50 percent from 3-point range (8 of 16), and forced seven of the Raiders' 11 turnovers in the first half.
Leading 17-16, Butler used an 11-1 run to pull away. Hayward capped the run on two free throws with 4:45 left in the first half for a 28-17 Bulldogs' advantage.
Butler held Wright State (10-6, 3-2) to 38.1 percent shooting in the first half.
The Bulldogs led by as many as 15, 56-41 on a layup by Zach Hahn with 11:49 remaining in their third straight win.
Willie Veasley added 12 points and Matt Howard 10 for Butler, which shot 57.9 percent in the second half (11 of 19).
Todd Brown scored 18 and Cory Cooperwood had 15 points and five blocks for the Raiders.
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Wright State hires South Dakota State basketball coach Apr 4
- Wright State fires coach Billy Donlon after 6 seasons Mar 19
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9