Detroit closes fast to turn back Valparaiso 77-67Jan 9, 2010 - 2:39 AM DETROIT(AP) -- Detroit used a late 14-2 run to overcome Cory Johnson's 31 points and beat Valparaiso 77-67 on Friday night.
Eli Holman led the Titans (11-5, 4-1 Horizon League) with a double-double of 18 points and 12 rebounds. Thomas Kennedy scored 17 points, Xavier Keeling 15 and Chase Simon 14.
Johnson hit 10 of 16 shots, including all three 3-pointers, and was 8 of 10 from the line to pace the Crusaders (6-10, 1-3). Brandon Wood contributed 13 points.
Both teams sank 26 of 51 shots. The difference came at the foul line, where the Titans were 19 of 28 and the Crusaders just 8 of 11.
Valparaiso led 34-24 at intermission. The Titans finally pulled even 52-52 on Simon's 3-pointer with 7:51 left.
It was 56-56 with 5:42 left when Detroit began its 14-2 spurt, going ahead 70-58 on Woody Payne's layup with 1:11 left and sealing the victory.
- NCAA BB
DETROIT 77 FINAL
Jan 8 9:05 PM
- NCAA BB
DETROIT 24 HALFTIME
Jan 8 7:49 PM
- Lottich succeeds Drew as basketball coach at Valparaiso Apr 7
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Maryland survives Valparaiso to advance Mar 20
- Terps open NCAA Tournament play against Crusaders Mar 20
- Valpo comes back to beat Green Bay in Horizon final Mar 10
- Crusaders clash with Phoenix for Horizon League crown Mar 10
- Wichita State rallies past Detroit Dec 13
- Titans seek upset of 11th-ranked Shockers Dec 13
- No. 24 Michigan pulls away to beat Detroit Nov 20
- Intrastate rivals collide, as Titans visit Wolverines Nov 20
- Bryce Drew, Valpo agree on new 10-year deal Dec 18