Virginia beats NC State 70-62 in ACC openerJan 9, 2010 - 7:18 PM By AARON BEARD AP Basketball Writer
RALEIGH, N.C.(AP) -- Sylven Landesberg scored 23 points to help Virginia rally past North Carolina State 70-62 on Saturday in its Atlantic Coast Conference opener.
Mike Scott added 14 for the Cavaliers (9-4, 1-0), who trailed by 10 points midway through the second half before taking over down the stretch to win their league opener for just the third time in 15 years. It was also the first ACC win for first-year coach Tony Bennett, who left Washington State to rebuild the struggling Virginia program.
Tracy Smith scored 18 points for the Wolfpack (11-5, 0-2), who managed just one field goal during the decisive 5-minute stretch that saw the Cavaliers take control. N.C. State led 42-32 with about 13 1/2 minutes left and 53-49 with 5:30 left before Virginia pushed ahead for good on Scott's tip-in with 3:53 left.
- NCAA BB
NC STATE 62 FINAL
Jan 9 2:05 PM
- NCAA BB
NC STATE 30 HALFTIME
Jan 9 12:51 PM
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- Second-half collapse mars finish for Virginia's seniors Mar 28
- Top-seeded Virginia collapses late, loses 68-62 to Syracuse Mar 27
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Twins Caleb and Cody Martin transferring from NC State Mar 24
- NC State junior Anthony 'Cat' Barber to remain in NBA draft Mar 22
- Virginia will have to prove defensive chops against Cyclones Mar 22
- Weekend of upsets leaves Virginia as Midwest favorite Mar 20