Swopshire lead Louisville past St. John's 75-68Jan 9, 2010 - 8:07 PM LOUISVILLE(AP) -- Jared Swopshire scored 14 points and Louisville defeated St. John's 75-68 on Saturday.
The Cardinals (12-4, 3-0 Big East) and the Red Storm (10-5, 0-3) were forced to grind the first half out due to sloppy ball-handling and poor shooting. Both teams were able to sustain small runs, with Dwight Hardy's 3-pointer at the buzzer to give St. Johns a 32-28 halftime lead.
Louisville shot 33 percent (10-for-30) in the first half, including 16 percent (2-for-12) from 3-point range. The Red Storm managed to shoot 39 percent (11-for-28).
The second half was played close until a 12-1 run by the Cardinals with midway through the second half gave Louisville a 58-46 lead at the 7:51 mark. St. Johns would mount a late rally to close the final scoring margin to seven.
Jerry Smith led the Cardinals with 16 points.
D.J. Kennedy led all scorers with 20 points for the Red Storm.
- Louisville sophomore Onuaku to undergo heart procedure May 17
- Louisville students' lawsuit against escort is dismissed May 3
- Louisville announces more sanctions for men's basketball Apr 6
- Pitino elevates Johnson to Louisville associate head coach Mar 15
- Cardinals' Pitino says he saw nothing 'unusual' at dormitory Mar 15
- Pitino: Will use offseason to decide future with Louisville Mar 1
- Transfers Lewis, Lee relish time spent at No. 11 Louisville Feb 29
- Louisville's Mahmoud out for final 6 games with ankle injury Feb 15
- Pitino: Mathiang won't return this season after foot injury Feb 12
- Louisville's Pitino awaits NCAA interview about sex scandal Feb 9
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations Feb 6
- Louisville men's basketball team coping with postseason ban Feb 6