Johnson leads Dayton past Duquesne 78-72 in OT winJan 9, 2010 - 10:16 PM DAYTON, Ohio(AP) -- Chris Johnson had career highs with 26 points and 20 rebounds and Dayton opened its Atlantic 10 conference play with a 78-72 overtime victory over Duquesne on Saturday.
Johnson, who had his second double-double this season, carried the Flyers (12-3, 1-0) in the second half with 13 points and six in overtime. Dayton took a 70-63 lead on Johnson's putback dunk with 2:43 left.
Jason Duty had a chance to win the game for Duquesne (9-7, 0-2) in regulation when he caught an inbounds pass in the right corner with 5 seconds left and was fouled while trying to shoot a 3-pointer with 3.5 seconds left. Duty made the first, but missed the next two.
Chris Wright added 16 points and 11 rebounds for Dayton, and Marcus Johnson had 11 points.
Damian Saunders led Duquesne with 21 points and 11 rebounds for his nation-leading 13th double-double of the season.
- NCAA BB
DAYTON 78 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Jan 9 4:46 PM
- NCAA BB
DAYTON 63 END OF 2ND HALF GOING INTO OVERTIME
Jan 9 4:24 PM
- NCAA BB
DAYTON 36 HALFTIME
Jan 9 2:58 PM
- University of Dayton center Steve McElvene dies May 12
- Dayton gives coach Archie Miller an extra year on contract Mar 23
- Boeheim has Orange back in NCAA Tournament opposite Dayton Mar 17
- Duquesne overcomes poor shooting to beat Robert Morris 72-65 Dec 19
- Ferry gets extension at Duquesne Jun 30
- Dayton extends Archie Miller's contract through 2021-22 Mar 26
- Oklahoma advances to Sweet 16 with win over Dayton Mar 22
- Flyers and Sooners mix it up in third-round action Mar 22
- Pierre leads Dayton past Providence Mar 21
- Dayton and Providence meet in second round of NCAA Tourney Mar 20
- Dayton holds home court, beats Boise State to advance Mar 19
- Flyers and Broncos meet in first round of NCAA Tournament Mar 18