Winthrop holds off Liberty 65-62Jan 10, 2010 - 12:22 AM ROCK HILL, S.C.(AP) -- Mantoris Robinson scored 16 points, including sinking three free throws in the last 8 seconds, as Winthrop held off Liberty 65-62 on Saturday.
Kyle Ohman converted a three-point play to put Liberty up 60-59 with 39 seconds remaining in a back-and-forth second half. But Winthrop's Andre Jones knocked down a 3-pointer 12 seconds later, and Robinson went 3-for-4 from the charity stripe in the final seconds.
Robinson was the lone double-figure scorer for the Eagles (7-9, 3-3 Big South Conference), who shot just 41.8 percent from the floor (23-for-55).
The Eagles scored 21 points off of 20 Liberty turnovers and outrebounded the Flames 32-29. Winthrop outscored Liberty 17-8 on second-chance points.
Ohman paced the Flames (8-9, 3-2) with 20 points.
Winthrop has won two straight games after dropping five in a row.
- NCAA BB
WINTHROP 64 FINAL
Jan 9 6:09 PM
- NCAA BB
WINTHROP 29 HALFTIME
Jan 9 4:58 PM
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Kemrite's 3-pointers help Liberty top Summit 90-49 Nov 14
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- No. 14 VCU pulls away from Winthrop Nov 16
- Winthrop hits road to challenge No. 14 VCU Nov 16
- Flame Out: NC A&T edges Liberty in Tourney opener Mar 19
- NCAA Tournament gets underway as Aggies take on Flames Mar 19