Sloan leads Texas A&M past Nebraska 64-53Jan 9, 2010 - 11:20 PM By KRISTIE RIEKEN AP Sports Writer
COLLEGE STATION, Texas(AP) -- Donald Sloan scored 26 points, including several key free throws down the stretch, to give Texas A&M a 64-53 win over Nebraska in the Big 12 opener for both teams Saturday.
Facing the Big 12's stingiest defense, the Aggies improved to 12-0 this season when holding teams to less than 70 points.
Nebraska (12-4) led by one before Texas A&M (12-3) scored nine straight points, six on free throws by Sloan, to take a 51-43 lead with about 5 1/2 minutes remaining.
The Cornhuskers cut the lead to six before a 3-pointer by A&M's Nathan Walkup with less then five minutes remaining made it 54-45, and Nebraska didn't threaten again.
Nebraska was led Christian Standhardinger, a freshman from Germany, who had 13 points in his debut for the Cornhuskers.
- Miami transfer, coveted 6-11 center sign with Cornhuskers May 17
- Butler assistant Michael Lewis joining Miles' Nebraska staff May 3
- Huskers' Andrew White declaring for draft but could return Apr 21
- Nebraska assistant resigning to take same job at Boise St. Apr 12
- No chance for a wild comeback for Aggies in 77-63 loss to OU Mar 25
- Hield, Sooners face former Big 12 foes Aggies in Sweet 16 Mar 24
- House leading the party at Texas A&M into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Texas A&M aims for respect in first NCAA tourney since 2011 Mar 17
- Texas A&M announces new 5-year deal for coach Billy Kennedy Mar 12
- Nebraska, Kansas agree to meet in basketball next 2 seasons Mar 1