Tennessee State rolls over Tennessee-Martin 73-59Jan 10, 2010 - 2:12 AM NASHVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Wil Peters scored 16 points and Josh Sain 15 as Tennessee State defeated Tennessee-Martin 73-59 on Saturday night in a matchup of teams that had been winless in Ohio Valley Conference play.
Robert Covington added 14 points, all in the first half, when the Tigers (4-13, 1-5) built a 40-24 lead.
They started the second half with a 13-4 run and still led by 25 points, 58-33, with 10:09 remaining before the Skyhawks (2-12, 0-5) closed the gap to 58-48 with a 15-0 run.
Tennessee State hit only one field goal the rest of the way but was able to hold off the Skyhawks at the free throw line, making 6 of 8 in the final minute.
Peters added nine rebounds for the Tigers, who had lost their last seven games against Tennessee-Martin.
Freshman Ron Spencer had 16 points and eight rebounds to lead the Skyhawks.
- Wofford wallops ETSU 87-73 as Collins scores 24 Jan 28
- Guyn's 26 lead E. Tennessee St. in 103-90 win over Green Bay Nov 17
- Hapless Tigers challenge high-flying Frogs Dec 29
- Bulldogs seek to ground Skyhawks Dec 22
- Anderson, Gill power No. 8 Virginia past Tennessee State Nov 26
- Tennessee State comes calling on No. 8 Virginia Nov 25
- Tennessee State names Dana Ford head coach Apr 21
- Tennesse-Martin tabs Schroyer as new hoops coach Mar 21
- Tennesse-Martin hoops coach James won't return Mar 3
- Cotton, No. 16 Wichita State take down Tennessee State Nov 16
- Tigers face daunting task in clash with 16th-ranked Shockers Nov 16
- Bowers and Missouri blow past Tennessee State Dec 8