Morgan State defeats Hampton 73-63Jan 12, 2010 - 3:01 AM HAMPTON, Va.(AP) -- Reggie Holmes scored 16 points and Morgan State defeated Hampton 73-63 on Monday night.
Holmes, the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference's leading scorer (23.6 points per game) was 4 of 18 from the field, including 3 of 9 from 3-point range.
The Bears (10-7, 3-0 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) led 57-56 with 7:47 left to play before going on a 12-2 run. Sean Thomas capped the spurt on two free throws for a 69-58 lead with 4 minutes to go.
Troy Smith and Kevin Thompson scored 11 points each, and DeWayne Jackson added 10 for Morgan State.
Smith had 10 points in the first half for the Bears.
The Pirates (4-11, 1-2) trailed 29-28 with 5:57 left in the first half, but went on a 10-3 run to lead 38-32 at halftime.
Charles Funches scored 17 points for Hampton, Darrion Pellum had 13 and Vincent Simpson and Michael Freeman added 12 each.
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 23 Syracuse takes down Hampton Nov 16
- Pirates come calling on 23rd-ranked Orange Nov 16
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15