Utah State throttles Hawaii 98-54Jan 12, 2010 - 4:08 AM LOGAN, Utah(AP) -- Tyler Newbold scored 15 points on 5-of-5 shooting from 3-point range to pace Utah State as they ran past Hawaii 98-54 Monday night.
Tai Wesley and Nate Bendall also scored 15 for Utah State (11-6, 1-2 Western Athletic Conference) and Wesley grabbed a game-high nine rebounds. The Aggies shot 11-of-16, 69 percent, from the 3-point line.
Hawaii (8-9, 1-3) was led by Dwain Williams with 12 points and Brandon Adams had 10. Hawaii's top scorer, Roderick Flemings, was held to eight points.
The Aggies led by 79-33 with 11:47 remaining. Hawaii could not penetrate Utah State's zone defense, gaining only four points in the paint during the first 10 minutes of the second half.
The Aggies shot 73.1 percent from the field in the first half and had seven steals on its way to a 54-26 halftime lead.
- Hawaii guard Aaron Valdes to turn professional Apr 7
- Utah State's Jalen Moore to submit name for NBA draft Mar 25
- No. 13 seed Hawaii to play 4th-seeded Maryland Mar 19
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17
- U of Hawaii appeals NCAA men's basketball postseason ban Jan 6
- NCAA puts University of Hawaii men's basketball on probation Dec 22
- Utah State downs Union (Tenn.) 73-49 Nov 20
- UC Irvine tops Hawaii to win Big West Mar 15
- Hawaii and Anteaters battle for Big West title Mar 14
- Utah State coach Stew Morrill to retire at season's end Jan 9
- WSU outlasts Hawaii in OT to reach Diamond Head Classic finals Dec 23
- Shockers and Rainbow Warriors meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23