Northern Iowa holds on to win 14th straight, 52-50Jan 13, 2010 - 4:57 AM CEDAR FALLS, Iowa(AP) -- Ali Farokhmanesh scored 14 points, Jordan Eglseder added 11 and 10 rebounds and Northern Iowa edged Bradley 52-50 Tuesday night, tying the school record with its 14th consecutive victory.
The Panthers (15-1) are off to their best start since going 19-1 to open the 1963-64 season and are in 6-0 Missouri Valley Conference play for the first time.
Sam Maniscalco scored 15 points to lead the Braves (7-9, 2-4).
Northern Iowa last won 14 straight when it won the final four games of the 1962-63 season and opened the next season with 10 straight victories. Only No. 2 Kentucky (17) and No. 1 Texas (15) have longer active winning streaks.
Northern Iowa trailed 27-26 at halftime. It opened the second half on a 12-5 run and led the rest of the way but never comfortably. Bradley twice pulled to within one, including 51-50 on Maniscalco's layup with 21 seconds to play.
- NCAA BB
NORTHERN IOWA 52 FINAL
Jan 12 11:03 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTHERN IOWA 26 HALFTIME
Jan 12 9:54 PM
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Northern Iowa gives Jacobson a new 10-year deal Apr 2
- Bradley names Brian Wardle head coach Mar 27
- Rozier, Louisville top UNI to reach 4th straight Sweet 16 Mar 23
- East Regional action pits Cards against Panthers Mar 22
- UNI holds off Wyoming Mar 20
- East Regional action pits Wyoming against Northern Iowa Mar 20
- Northern Iowa claims Missouri Valley title Mar 8
- Redbirds tangle with Panthers for MVC Tournament title Mar 8