Fuller leads Iowa past Tennessee State 67-62Jan 13, 2010 - 4:08 AM By LUKE MEREDITH AP Sports Writer
IOWA CITY, Iowa(AP) -- Aaron Fuller scored a career-high 24 points and Iowa sunck past Tennessee State 67-62 on Tuesday night to snap a four-game losing streak.
But what was supposed to be a confidence builder for the struggling Hawkeyes (6-11) turned out to be a nail-biter.
The Tigers (4-14) tied the game at 60-all on Robert Covington's putback with 2:22 left. But Iowa's Cully Payne hit a 3 as the shot clock expired and added two free throws to give Iowa a 65-60 lead with 1:17 left.
Iowa's Matt Gatens scored 12 points, including a pair of free throws with 24.6 seconds left to ice the win.
Josh Sain had 19 points for Tennessee State, which lost for the sixth time in seven games.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
TENNESSEE STATE 33 29 62
IOWA 35 32 67 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: TENNESSEE STATE - JOSH SAIN 19, JACQUAN NOBLES 14,
DARIUS COX 11
IOWA - AARON FULLER 24, MATT GATENS 12,
CULLY PAYNE 11
Jan 12 10:50 PM
- NCAA BB
TENNESSEE ST 33
IOWA 35 HALFTIME
Jan 12 9:47 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Iowa looking to turn things around against Temple Mar 17
- Guard Mike Gesell blossoms into unheralded star for Iowa Mar 8
- No. 8 Iowa suffers damaging 68-64 loss at Ohio State Feb 28
- Iowa controls Big Ten destiny despite loss to Penn State Feb 22
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics Feb 10
- Wofford wallops ETSU 87-73 as Collins scores 24 Jan 28
- Iowa surges into Top 25 with strong Big Ten start Jan 5