Appalachian State defeats Elon 89-65Jan 14, 2010 - 2:26 AM BOONE, N.C.(AP) -- Kellen Brand scored 20 points and Appalachian State defeated Elon 89-65 on Wednesday night.
The Mountaineers (9-7, 3-2 Southern Conference) outrebounded the Phoenix (3-13, 1-4) 40-24, had 11 second chance points and scored 32 points in the paint.
Terrance Birdette's 3-pointer gave the Elon its first lead since 8:24 left in the first half, 43-42, with 15:07 to play.
After both teams took turns in the lead, Elon tied the score at 60 on Adam Constantine's dunk with 11:34 remaining.
Appalachian State then went on a 13-8 run and led 73-58 on Andre Williamson's jump shot with 4:45 to go.
Donald Sims scored 16 points, Ryann Abraham added 12 and Josh Hunter and Williamson had 11 points apiece for the Mountaineers, who won for the fifth time in their past six games.
Drew Spradlin paced Elon with 20 points and T.J. Douglas added 16.
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Dec 15
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Dec 15
- Fox named Appalachian State hoops coach Apr 8
- Appalachian State fires Capel Mar 10
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- UMass continues winning ways, downs Elon Jan 18
- Minutemen meet Phoenix in non-league tussle Jan 18
- Duke routs Elon Dec 31
- Elon seeks upset of No. 7 Duke Dec 31
- Dinwiddie leads Colorado over Elon Dec 14
- No. 21 Colorado puts streak on the line against Elon Dec 13
- No. 1 Duke downs Elon to remain unbeaten Dec 20