Whiteside key, Marshall tops Central Florida 81-75Jan 14, 2010 - 4:01 AM ORLANDO, Fla.(AP) -- Hassan Whiteside had a triple-double - 14 points, 14 rebounds and 10 blocked shots - and Chris Lutz scored 21 points as Marshall overcame a 12-point second-half deficit to defeat Central Florida 81-75 on Wednesday night.
The victory was the fifth straight for Marshall (14-2, 3-0 Conference USA), which led 76-65 before an 8-0 Knights' run cut the deficit to 76-73 on a three-point play by Marcus Jordan with 38 seconds left. The Thundering Herd then hit 5 of 6 free throws.
Whiteside, who leads the nation in blocked shots, has the only triple-doubles in Marshall history. He had the other against Brescia University in December.
A 12-2 Thundering Herd run early in the second half erased a 10-point UCF lead. Three straight three-pointers by Lutz gave Marshall a 66-59 lead with 6:29 remaining.
Jordan, Michael Jordan's son, led UCF (9-7, 1-1) with a career-high 19 points.
- NCAA BB
UCF 75 FINAL
Jan 13 10:05 PM
- NCAA BB
UCF 44 HALFTIME
Jan 13 8:48 PM
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- UCF introduces Johnny Dawkins as new men's basketball coach Mar 24
- UCF hires Johnny Dawkins as next men's basketball coach Mar 23
- UCF fires coach Donnie Jones following loss in AAC tourney Mar 11
- UCF's Taylor to miss remainder of season with leg injury Dec 23
- Marshall assistant coach Chris Duhon suspended after arrest Nov 30
- NCAA clears UCF 7-foot-6 recruit Tacko Fall to play Nov 13
- UCF files for academic waiver for 7-6 recruit Tacko Fall Nov 12
- Eligibility of 7-foot-6 UCF recruit in doubt as season nears Nov 10
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Newly ranked ODU rolls past Marshall Jan 8