Downey's 29 leads South Carolina over LSU 67-58Jan 14, 2010 - 4:23 AM By JEFFREY COLLINS Associated Press Writer
COLUMBIA, S.C.(AP) -- Devan Downey scored 29 points and had seven rebounds to lead South Carolina to a 67-58 win over LSU on Wednesday night.
The Gamecocks (11-5, 2-0 Southeastern Conference) trailed for most of the game before going on a 17-1 run that started when Lakeem Jackson's put back cut LSU's lead to 49-47 with just under 9 minutes to go.
Downey had nine points during the run, including a driving layup high off the backboard with just under 8 minutes to go, giving the Gamecocks their first lead since early in the first half at 51-49 with 7:55 to go.
South Carolina then put the game away with a nine-point burst in 80 seconds, included a layup, a steal and a 3-pointer from Downey.
Storm Warren led LSU (9-7, 0-2) with 19 points, but just four came in the second half.
- NCAA BB
SOUTH CAROLINA 67 FINAL
Jan 13 10:02 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTH CAROLINA 27 HALFTIME
Jan 13 8:53 PM
- South Carolina forward Raymond Doby leaving the program May 18
- South Carolina dismisses suspended players Gregory, Cobb Apr 4
- Gamecocks give men's coach Frank Martin 4-year extension Apr 1
- South Carolina got told it was in - except, it wasn't Mar 31
- LSU coach: Guard Tim Quarterman leaving for NBA draft Mar 28
- Offseason questions loom for Frank Martin, South Carolina Mar 23
- LSU freshman Ben Simmons announces he'll enter the NBA draft Mar 21
- 2 South Carolina players arrested over BB gun shooting Mar 17
- LSU coach takes responsibility for disappointing season Mar 15
- 5 South Carolina players suspended before NIT game Mar 15
- South Carolina moving on from NCAA snub Mar 14
- LSU coach: Tigers won't play in any postseason tourneys Mar 13