Memphis knocks off East Carolina 77-57Jan 14, 2010 - 2:19 AM MEMPHIS, Tenn.(AP) -- Wesley Witherspoon scored 22 points and Doneal Mack added 15 as Memphis extended its Conference USA winning streak to 63 games with a 77-57 victory over East Carolina on Wednesday night.
The victory pulled the Tigers (12-4, 2-0 C-USA) within one game of Kentucky's 64 straight conference wins in the late 1940s - the longest such streak in NCAA history.
However, the NCAA has ruled that the Tigers will forfeit their 38 wins - 19 of them in Conference USA play - in the 2007-08 season because of questions about guard Derrick Rose's eligibility.
Memphis has appealed the ruling.
Willie Kemp added 13 for Memphis, which has not lost in the conference since March 2, 2006 at Alabama-Birmingham.
Witherspoon was 6 of 8 from the field and 9 of 10 from the line.
Brock Young led the Pirates (6-11, 0-3) with 21 points, Jontae Sherrod added 11 and Jamar Abrams had 10.
- NCAA BB
EAST CAROLINA 57
MEMPHIS 77 FINAL
Jan 13 9:01 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
EAST CAROLINA 26 26
MEMPHIS 33 33 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
EAST CAROLINA - JONTAE SHERROD 11, BROCK YOUNG 6, ERIN
MEMPHIS - WESLEY WITHERSPOON 14, WILLIE KEMP 8,
DONEAL MACK 5
Jan 13 7:50 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- No. 20 SMU beats ECU in American QFs Mar 13
- Pirates seek upset of Mustangs in AAC Tournament action Mar 13
- Moore leads No. 21 SMU over Memphis Feb 27
- SMU and Memphis collide in AAC action Feb 26
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Memphis Feb 1
- Memphis hits road to challenge No. 3 Gonzaga Jan 31