Illinois State stops Evansville, 70-56Jan 14, 2010 - 3:16 AM NORMAL, Ill.(AP) -- Lloyd Phillips' 18 points led four Illinois State players in double figures and the Redbirds pulled away from Evansville in the second half for a 70-56 victory Wednesday night.
Dinma Odiakosa had 13 points and 11 rebounds for Illinois State (13-4, 4-2 Missouri Valley). Austin Hill scored 14 points and Alex Rubin matched his career high with 13 for the Redbirds, whose top scorer this season, Osiris Eldridge, was held to two points in 29 minutes.
Colt Ryan scored 22 to lead Evansville (6-10, 0-6) and Denver Holmes had 10. The Aces outscored the Redbirds 30-18 in the paint but Illinois State was 20-for-23 from the free-throw line, led by Hill's 8-for-8. Evansville was 7-for-8 at the line.
The Redbirds led 33-31 at halftime, and the Aces trailed 47-46 with just under 12 minutes remaining. A 9-2 run later in the half gave Illinois State a 64-54 lead.
- Illinois State staffers among 7 dead in plane crash Apr 7
- Evansville claims CIT title over Northern Arizona Apr 2
- Northern Arizona and Evansville clash for CIT crown Apr 2
- Northern Iowa claims Missouri Valley title Mar 8
- Redbirds tangle with Panthers for MVC Tournament title Mar 8
- Good Knight: Illinois St. stuns Wichita in MVC semis Mar 7
- Shockers meet Redbirds in MVC semifinals Mar 7
- Northern Iowa handles Evansville Feb 25
- Purple Aces hope to play spoiler in clash with Panthers Feb 25
- Wichita State shuts down Evansville Feb 22
- Evansville comes calling on No. 13 Wichita State Feb 22
- No. 15 Wichita State tops Illinois State Feb 14