Louisiana-Monroe defeats South Alabama 61-58Jan 15, 2010 - 4:47 AM MONROE, La.(AP) -- Dynile Forbes scored 14 points and Louisiana-Monroe defeated South Alabama 61-58 on Thursday night.
The Warhawks (7-11, 2-5 Sun Belt Conference) trailed 58-57 with 1:59 remaining, before hitting four free throws and getting three defensive stops.
Tommie Sykes gave ULM the lead for good, at 59-58, on two free throws with 1:37 to go, and Forbes hit two more with 15 seconds left.
The Warhawks were outrebounded 40-29 and shot just 30 percent from the field (15 of 50). However, they shot 80 percent from the free throw line (24 of 30) and snapped a two-game losing streak and seven-game skid to the Jaguars (11-7, 3-3).
South Alabama led 18-14 and it stayed close throughout most of the first half. But a 13-3 run gave ULM a 27-21 lead with 5 minutes left, en route to a 31-25 halftime lead.
Martino Brock scored 13 points and grabbed 12 rebounds for the Jaguars.
- NCAA BB
SOUTH ALABAMA 58
UL MONROE 61 FINAL
Jan 14 10:14 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTH ALABAMA 25
UL MONROE 31 HALFTIME
Jan 14 8:49 PM
- Minnesota beats Louisiana-Monroe 67-56 Nov 15
- Louisiana-Monroe cruises over McMurry 88-43 in opener Nov 13
- Loyola-Chicago beats ULM for CBI title Apr 1
- Ramblers seek CBI crown in showdown with Warhawks Apr 1
- Loyola beats ULM in CBI opener Mar 30
- No. 17 Miami returns home to beat South Alabama Nov 28
- Miami tries to avoid upset in clash with South Alabama Nov 28
- No. 8 Florida needs OT to subdue UL-Monroe Nov 21
- Gators seek redemption in bout with visiting Warhawks Nov 21
- No. 3 Ohio State routs Louisiana Monroe Dec 28
- ULM comes calling on No. 3 Ohio State Dec 27
- Gonzaga defeats South Alabama Dec 15