Western Kentucky defeats Florida Atlantic 79-72Jan 15, 2010 - 3:51 AM BOCA RATON, Fla.(AP) -- A.J. Slaughter scored 25 points and Steffphon Pettigrew added 21 to help Western Kentucky beat Florida Atlantic 79-72 on Thursday night.
Slaughter scored 21 points in the second half for the Hilltoppers (10-5, 3-1 Sun Belt Conference), including 14 of their 16 midway through the half.
Western Kentucky shot 54.5 percent in the second half (12 of 22) after trailing 34-33 at halftime.
The Hilltoppers led for most of the first half, until Raymond Taylor had three-point play to give the Owls (7-10, 2-3) a 29-28 lead with 3 minutes left until halftime.
Western Kentucky, which trailed by as many as four, cut the halftime deficit to one on Caden Dickerson's 3 with 28 seconds left.
Greg Gantt scored 23 points for Florida Atlantic, including 17 in the second half. Jordan McCoy added 13 and Taylor had 11 points and nine assists for the Owls.
- NCAA BB
FLA ATLANTIC 72
WKU 79 FINAL
Jan 14 10:11 PM
- NCAA BB
FLA ATLANTIC 34
WKU 33 HALFTIME
Jan 14 8:55 PM
- Florida State-FAU game delayed twice by problems with basket Dec 19
- Duke barely breaks a sweat in topping FAU Nov 15
- Blue Devils battle Owls in non-coference fray Nov 15
- Zeller, Hoosiers cruise past Florida Atlantic Dec 22
- Owls hope to soar past sixth-ranked Hoosiers Dec 21
- No. 11 North Carolina routs Florida International Nov 11
- Tar Heels and Owls meet to open Maui Invitational action Nov 11
- Hood helps Bulldogs down Owls Dec 14
- 17th-ranked Bulldogs battle Owls in Starkville Dec 13
- Robinson helps No. 15 Kansas cruise past Florida Atlantic Dec 1
- Owls fly into Lawrence seeking upset of 15th-ranked Jayhawks Nov 30
- Gators chomp down on Owls Nov 23