Taylor helps Monmouth beat St. Francis 63-53Jan 15, 2010 - 3:02 AM LORETTO, Pa.(AP) -- Travis Taylor scored 20 points and Monmouth (N.J.) used a late surge to defeat Saint Francis (Pa.) 63-53 on Thursday night and win its fifth straight game.
The Hawks (8-9, 4-1 Northeast Conference) broke a tie at 28 with a 15-2 spurt and led 43-30 with 10:58 to go.
The game was tied six times in the first half before Justin Sofman's 3-pointer gave Monmouth a 22-21 lead at the break.
The Hawks scored 23 points off 20 Red Flash turnovers.
Monmouth shot only 35.7 percent from the field in the first half (10-for-28), but improved to 56.5 percent (13-for-23) in the second to finish at 45.1 percent (23-for-51). Saint Francis shot 37.2 percent (16-for-43) for the game.
Sofman finished with 15 points for the Hawks and Whitney Coleman added 13.
Anthony Ervin scored 12 points for the Red Flash (4-12, 2-3) and Sorena Orandi and Umar Shannon added 11 points apiece.
- Monmouth basketball coach King Rice has new 5-year contract Feb 26
- Born with broken ankle, Monmouth guard beating doubters Feb 18
- GIF away, Monmouth! NCAA not stopping bench celebrations Dec 9
- Surprising Monmouth basketball winning and having fun Dec 3
- Texas breezes past St. Francis Nov 26
- Longhorns put perfect mark on line versus Red Flash Nov 25
- Syracuse destroys Monmouth Dec 8
- Hawks face tall task in clash with fourth-ranked Orange Dec 8
- No. 20 Notre Dame dominates Monmouth Nov 12
- Monmouth seeks upset of Notre Dame Nov 12
- St. Francis (PA) names Krimmel head men's basketball coach Apr 19
- Tar Heels breeze past Monmouth for seventh straight win Jan 1