North Florida edges Belmont 45-43Jan 15, 2010 - 4:05 AM JACKSONVILLE, Fla.(AP) -- Matt Sauey scored on a tip-in at the buzzer to give North Florida a 45-43 victory over Belmont on Thursday night.
Brad Haugabrook missed a jumper and Sauey, a sophomore forward, was there for the putback as the Ospreys (9-8, 4-3 Atlantic Sun Conference) won for the eighth time in nine games.
Sauey finished with a team-high 11 points.
Ian Clark gave Belmont (9-8, 4-3) a 43-41 lead on a jumper with 1:09 left, but Haugabrook tied the score at 43 with his jumper with 50 seconds remaining.
Clark missed a 3-pointer with 25 seconds to play and North Florida's Andy Diaz came down with the rebound to set up Sauey's heroics.
The Ospreys shot just 26.7 percent from the field (16-for-60), going 1-for-12 from the 3-point line (8.3 percent).
Clark scored 17 points to lead Belmont, which was 4-for-20 from the 3-point line (20 percent).
- Virginia staves off upset bid from Belmont Mar 20
- Belmont battles Virginia in East Regional melee Mar 20
- Robert Morris rallies past North Florida in First Four Mar 18
- Colonials and Ospreys clash in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Belmont shocks Murray State to win OVC crown Mar 7
- Racers and Bruins battle for OVC crown Mar 7
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8
- Randle helps Kentucky fend off Belmont Dec 21
- Wildcats set sights on Bruins Dec 21
- No. 5 Michigan State cruises past North Florida Dec 17