Valparaiso takes 70-66 win over Youngstown StateJan 15, 2010 - 3:34 AM VALPARAISO, Ind.(AP) -- Brandon McPherson scored 22 points, including the go-ahead 3-pointer, to carry Valparaiso to a 70-66 win over Youngstown State on Thursday night.
McPherson sank a career-nigh nine shots from the field, including the 3-pointer that put the Crusaders (7-11, 2-4 Horizon) ahead for good with about 6 1/2 minutes left.
Brandon Wood finished with 20 points and Cory Johnson added 10 to help the Crusaders snap a three-game losing streak.
The Penguins' DeAndre Mays returned from scoring a career-high 30 points against Loyola of Chicago on Saturday to pick up a team-high 21 points versus the Crusaders.
The Penguins (7-9, 2-5) held a 19-11 scoring advantage from the bench, thanks in part to 11 points from Vytas Sulskis. Starter Sirlester Martin finished the game with 10 points.
- NCAA BB
YOUNGSTOWN ST 66
VALPARAISO 70 FINAL
Jan 14 10:05 PM
- NCAA BB
YOUNGSTOWN ST 29
VALPARAISO 41 HALFTIME
Jan 14 8:52 PM
- Lottich succeeds Drew as basketball coach at Valparaiso Apr 7
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- Youngstown State beats Robert Morris 65-58 Dec 2
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Youngstown St. tops N. Dakota 79-69 for Slocum's 700th win Nov 23
- Maryland survives Valparaiso to advance Mar 20
- Terps open NCAA Tournament play against Crusaders Mar 20
- Valpo comes back to beat Green Bay in Horizon final Mar 10
- Crusaders clash with Phoenix for Horizon League crown Mar 10
- Bryce Drew, Valpo agree on new 10-year deal Dec 18
- Nix, Michigan State cruise past Valpo in second round Mar 21
- Spartans set sights on Crusaders in NCAA Tournament tilt Mar 20