Johnson helps Montana stop Sacramento State 57-56Jan 16, 2010 - 5:30 AM SACRAMENTO, Calif.(AP) -- Anthony Johnson scored 18 points to help Montana hold off Sacramento State 57-56 on Friday night.
Freshman Will Cherry had nine points and four steals and made the game-winning shot for the Grizzlies (13-6, 4-3 Big Sky).
Justin Eller led the Hornets (7-11, 1-4) with 14 points and 12 rebounds.
Montana held a six-point margin until Sacramento State came back to lead 52-51 on a 3-pointer by Antonio Flaggs with 4:39 to go.
The Grizzlies regained the advantage when Cherry stole an inbound pass and drove to the basket for a layup to make it 57-56 with 18 seconds remaining.
The Hornets had a chance to win, but Mike Marcial's shot missed with 3 seconds left.
Trailing by eight, Montana staged a 13-0 run to move ahead 27-22 with 4:01 remaining in the first half.
Sacramento State regrouped and led 30-29 at intermission.
- NCAA BB
SACRAMENTO ST 56 FINAL
Jan 15 11:57 PM
- NCAA BB
SACRAMENTO ST 30 HALFTIME
Jan 15 10:45 PM
- Harvey, Eastern Washington rally past Montana for Big Sky crown Mar 14
- Grizzlies, Eagles engage in Big Sky title bout Mar 14
- Gonzaga pounds Sacramento State Nov 15
- Bulldogs get underway in showdown with Hornets Nov 14
- Montana tabs DeCuire to replace Tinkle May 31
- Adams leads the way again as UCLA rolls Nov 19
- Hornets hoping to sting Bruins Nov 18
- Montana dismisses Coleman Jun 7
- Syracuse advances in rout of Montana Mar 22
- Orange set sights on Grizzlies in East Regional tilt Mar 20
- Montana repeats as Big Sky champions Mar 17
- Weber State takes on Montana in Big Sky title game Mar 16