Jackson scores 19, Xavier beats Dayton 78-74Jan 16, 2010 - 7:08 PM By JOE KAY AP Sports Writer
CINCINNATI(AP) -- Dante Jackson scored a career-high 19 points Saturday, and Xavier was nearly flawless at the foul line, holding on for a 78-74 victory over Dayton that extended one of the longest streaks of futility in college basketball.
Dayton (13-4, 2-1 Atlantic 10) hasn't beaten the Musketeers on their home court since Jan. 10, 1981, losing in their last 25 trips down Interstate 75. The coaches, players and even the arenas have changed, but never the outcome.
Jackson steadied the Musketeers (12-5, 4-0) while leading scorer Jordan Crawford was on the bench in early foul trouble. Crawford hit the clinching shot, a fadeaway jumper with 14 seconds left that made it 76-71. Marcus Johnson hit a 3 for Dayton with 1.9 seconds left, but Terrell Holloway made two free throws to finish it.
Xavier went 24 of 30 from the free-throw line, while Dayton was 16-of-25. Johnson led Dayton with 16 points.
- NCAA BB
XAVIER 78 FINAL
Jan 16 1:29 PM
- NCAA BB
XAVIER 36 HALFTIME
Jan 16 12:03 PM
- No NBA: Trevon Bluiett staying at Xavier for junior season May 23
- University of Dayton center Steve McElvene dies May 12
- Xavier gives coach Chris Mack an additional year on contract Apr 14
- Dayton gives coach Archie Miller an extra year on contract Mar 23
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- Boeheim has Orange back in NCAA Tournament opposite Dayton Mar 17
- No. 5 Xavier looking to fix defense at Big East tournament Mar 7
- No. 5 Xavier in running for high NCAA tournament seed Feb 25
- Big East's top 2 teams set for high-stakes rematch at Xavier Feb 23
- Xavier's Sumner 'walking, talking' after hard fall at game Dec 31