Louisiana-Monroe defeats Denver 64-53Jan 16, 2010 - 9:32 PM MONROE, La.(AP) -- Rudy Turner scored 19 points and Louisiana-Monroe defeated Denver 64-53 on Saturday.
The Warhawks (8-11, 3-5 Sun Belt Conference), who trailed by as many as 13-4 with 13:30 to go in the first half, rallied to a 28-28 tie at halftime. Louisiana-Monroe used two runs to pull away from the Pioneers (12-7, 5-3).
The Warhawks scored five straight points to lead 33-28 on Turner's layup 2:01 into the second half.
Denver tied the game at 35-35 on Chase Hallam's 3 with 16 minutes remaining, but the Warhawks scored eight straight to pull away. Dynile Forbes' free throws gave Louisiana-Monroe a 43-35 lead with 11:09 left.
Tony Hooper scored 14 points for the Warhawks and Tommie Sykes added 11 points and 10 rebounds. Forbes had five steals for Louisiana-Monroe, which improved to 7-2 at home.
Hallam had 13 points and Brian Stafford added 12 for the Pioneers.
- University of Denver hires Rodney Billups as coach Mar 14
- Denver fires coach Joe Scott after 9 seasons Mar 11
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- Rosga, Denver beat Omaha, advance to Summit League semis Mar 7
- Minnesota beats Louisiana-Monroe 67-56 Nov 15
- Louisiana-Monroe cruises over McMurry 88-43 in opener Nov 13
- Loyola-Chicago beats ULM for CBI title Apr 1
- Ramblers seek CBI crown in showdown with Warhawks Apr 1
- Loyola beats ULM in CBI opener Mar 30
- Northern Iowa tops Denver on 30 shots Dec 10
- Panthers hit road to take on Pioneers Dec 10
- No. 8 Florida needs OT to subdue UL-Monroe Nov 21