Arkansas defeats Alabama, 71-59Jan 16, 2010 - 10:09 PM FAYETTEVILLE, Ark.(AP) -- Three Arkansas players recorded double-doubles and the Razorbacks used a strong second-half showing to defeat Alabama 71-59 Saturday.
Marshawn Powell had 18 points and 10 rebounds and Mike Washington scored 17 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for the Razorbacks (8-9, 1-1 SEC). Courtney Fortson had 12 points and 10 assists. Rotnei Clarke also scored 17 for Arkansas, which outscored the Crimson Tide 39-25 in the second half after trailing 34-32 at the break.
The four double-figure scorers accounted for 64 of the Razorbacks' 71 points.
Mikhail Torrence scored 15 points to lead Alabama (11-6, 1-2). JaMychal Green had 13 points and eight rebounds and Tony Mitchell scored 12 for the Crimson Tide.
Arkansas outrebounded Alabama 40-27 in a physical game thanks to the inside play of Powell and Washington, and the toughness of Clarke.
It was 47-46 when Alabama guard Senario Hillman, who scored four points, was ejected for a flagrant foul for an elbow to Clarke's chin with 12:08 remaining. Hillman's foul seemed to spark the Razorbacks, who would outscore Alabama 24-13 the rest of the way.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ALABAMA 34 25 59
ARKANSAS 32 39 71 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: ALABAMA - JAMYCHAL GREEN 13, MIKHAIL TORRANCE 13,
TONY MITCHELL 12
ARKANSAS - MARSHAWN POWELL 18, ROTNEI CLARKE 17,
MICHAEL WASHINGTON 17
Jan 16 3:44 PM
- NCAA BB
ARKANSAS 32 HALFTIME
Jan 16 2:37 PM
- Alabama signs Ohio State transfer Daniel Giddens May 17
- Kingsley withdraws name from NBA draft, returns to Arkansas May 9
- Alabama signs graduate transfer guard from Morehead State May 2
- Alabama hires John Pelphrey as associate head coach Apr 13
- Arkansas' Kingsley enters NBA draft, won't hire agent Apr 12
- Alabama players Coleman, Kessens leaving program Mar 30
- Whitt transferring from Arkansas after freshman season Mar 30
- Anderson has NCAA tourney in sights next season for Arkansas Mar 22
- Johnson taking the long view after first season at Alabama Mar 16
- Arkansas reeling, postseason unlikely, following latest loss Feb 19
- Obasohan helps lead Alabama into NCAA tourney contention Feb 18
- Johnson, Bama's tough run starts with No. 15 Texas A&M Feb 9