Cincinnati beats Notre Dame 60-58Jan 16, 2010 - 11:20 PM By JOE KAY AP Sports Writer
CINCINNATI(AP) -- Yancy Gates got his own miss and put it back in with 2.4 seconds to go Saturday, giving Cincinnati a 60-58 victory over Notre Dame in a game where football was never far from mind.
There were 11 lead changes and six ties in the second half, the final one when Ben Hansbrough hit a pull-up jumper that made it 58-all with 22.6 seconds to go. After a timeout, Cincinnati got the ball to Deonta Vaughn, who drove and passed to Gates for the deciding shot.
It was the first time Cincinnati (12-6, 3-3 Big East) played Notre Dame since Brian Kelly left to become the Irish football coach. Cincinnati used the occasion to honor its Sugar Bowl team, which sat in the stands and was introduced on court at halftime. One student held up a sign that said: "Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor's Coach."
Notre Dame (14-4, 3-2) was led by Tim Abromaitis' 16 points. Luke Harangody had 14 points on 5-of-20 shooting.
- NCAA BB
NOTRE DAME 58
CINCINNATI 60 FINAL
Jan 16 6:05 PM
- NCAA BB
NOTRE DAME 32
CINCINNATI 25 HALFTIME
Jan 16 4:54 PM
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Cincinnati says Mick Cronin is staying after talks with UNLV Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- A late dunk, a last-second 3 add to Cincinnati's heartbreak Mar 21