Valparaiso defeats Cleveland State 78-71Jan 16, 2010 - 10:27 PM VALPARAISO, Ind.(AP) -- Brandon McPherson scored 21 points to lead Valparaiso to a 78-71 victory over Cleveland State Saturday.
Brandon Wood scored 17 points, Cory Johnson 15 and Ryan Broekhoff 13 for the Crusaders (8-11, 3-4 Horizon). Valparaiso shot 57 percent for the game, with McPherson going 8-for-11 from the field.
The Crusaders managed just 55 percent (12-for-22) from the free-throw line.
Trevon Harmon and Jeremy Montgomery each scored 20 points for the Vikings (7-12, 3-4). D'Aundray Brown had 10 points and 10 rebounds and Norris Cole added 14 points for Cleveland State, which finished at 39 percent from the field. The Vikings took 15 more outside shots than the Crusaders but made three fewer.
- Lottich succeeds Drew as basketball coach at Valparaiso Apr 7
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Maryland survives Valparaiso to advance Mar 20
- Terps open NCAA Tournament play against Crusaders Mar 20
- Valpo comes back to beat Green Bay in Horizon final Mar 10
- Crusaders clash with Phoenix for Horizon League crown Mar 10
- Virginia downs Cleveland State, moves to 10-0 Dec 18
- No. 6 Virginia gets back to work against Cleveland State Dec 18
- Louisville grinds past Cleveland State for Pitino's 700th win Nov 26
- Cardinals set sights on Vikings Nov 26
- Bryce Drew, Valpo agree on new 10-year deal Dec 18