Appalachian State defeats UNC-Greensboro 72-64Jan 16, 2010 - 10:21 PM BOONE, N.C.(AP) -- Donald Sims scored 21 points and Appalachian State defeated North Carolina-Greensboro 72-64 on Saturday.
The Mountaineers (10-7, 4-2 Southern Conference) trailed 49-47 with 8:36 to play, before going on a 15-2 run. Sims' 3-pointer capped the run for a 62-41 lead with 2:48 remaining.
Jeremi Booth scored 12 points, Isaac Butts grabbed 11 rebounds and Andre Williamson had four blocks for Appalachian State, which won its third straight.
The Mountaineers shot 50 percent (9 of 18), compared to 35.1 percent (13 of 37) by the Spartans (3-15, 2-5) in the second half.
UNC-Greensboro used a 14-3 run to lead 27-23 on Mikko Koivisto's 3 with 3:28 left in the first half. The Mountaineers responded with a 9-4 run to lead 32-31 at halftime.
Ben Stywall paced the Spartans with 19 points and 12 rebounds. Koivisto and Brian Cole added 11 each for UNC-Greensboro.
- No. 24 North Carolina drops UNC Greensboro Dec 16
- Tar Heels make short trip to tangle with Spartans Dec 16
- Fox named Appalachian State hoops coach Apr 8
- Appalachian State fires Capel Mar 10
- Missouri handles Appalachian State Dec 2
- Mountaineers face uphill climb in clash with 16th-ranked Tigers Dec 1
- Zeller and North Carolina cruise past App State Dec 17
- Hoyas bounce back with win over Appalachian State Dec 12
- Appalachian State hires Capel as new coach Apr 21
- Pacific topples Appalachian State 64-56 Mar 25
- Wofford beats Appalachian St, earns 1st NCAA berth Mar 9
- Appalachian State knocks off The Citadel 71-61 Mar 6