VCU beats Georgia State 82-69Jan 17, 2010 - 1:56 AM ATLANTA(AP) -- Joey Rodriguez scored 21 points, leading Virginia Commonwealth in an 82-69 win over Georgia State on Saturday.
Jamie Skeen added 16 points and Bradford Burgess had 14 for the Rams (12-4, 4-3 Colonial Athletic Association), who have won three straight. Larry Sanders grabbed 11 rebounds and blocked a shot.
Burgess went 4-for-5 from beyond the arc for the Rams.
Trae Goldston's 3-pointer put Georgia State up 32-28 with 6:40 left before halftime, but the Rams put together an 18-6 run the rest of the period to lead at the break. They never trailed again, outscoring the Panthers 36-31 in the second.
Goldston, who hit three 3s and was 4-for-4 at the foul line, finished with 19 points and six steals for the Panthers (8-11, 2-5). Georgia State has lost five in a row.
The Panthers lost despite turning the ball over just nine times and outscoring VCU 19-10 on the fastbreak.
- NCAA BB
VA COMMONWEALTH 82
GEORGIA ST 69 FINAL
Jan 16 7:50 PM
- NCAA BB
VA COMMONWEALTH 46
GEORGIA ST 38 HALFTIME
Jan 16 6:49 PM
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10
- Wade leaves Chattanooga to return to VCU Apr 7