St. Francis edges Fairleigh Dickinson 54-52Jan 17, 2010 - 2:58 AM LORETTO, Pa.(AP) -- Umar Shannon hit two free throws with 1 second remaining to send St. Francis (Pa.) to a 54-52 victory over Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday night.
Shannon, a freshman, was fouled by Kamil Svrdlik and hit his only two free throw attempts of the game to help the Red Flash (5-12, 3-3 Northeast Conference) snap a three-game losing streak.
Sorena Orandi hit two free throws to give St. Francis a 52-51 lead with 40 seconds to play, but Sean Baptiste tied the score at 52 by making one of his two attempts with 13 seconds left.
There were eight ties and eight lead changes.
Devin Sweetney led St. Joseph's with 15 points and Shannon finished with 11, reaching double figures for the seventh time in eight games. The Red Flash shot 52.6 percent from the field (20-for-38).
Svrdlik scored 13, Alvin Mofunanya had 12 and Terence Grier added 10 for Fairleigh Dickinson (4-14, 3-3).
- NCAA BB
FAIR DICKINSON 52
ST FRANCIS PA 54 FINAL
Jan 16 8:51 PM
- NCAA BB
FAIR DICKINSON 20
ST FRANCIS PA 19 HALFTIME
Jan 16 7:44 PM
- Fla. Gulf Coast, Fairleigh Dickinson face off in First Four Mar 15
- Coach Herenda has Fairleigh Dickinson back in NCAA Tourney Mar 12
- Pryor leads Robert Morris over Fairleigh Dickinson 72-70 Feb 13
- Harrison, St. John's pull away from FDU Dec 11
- Red Storm set sights on Knights Dec 10
- Texas breezes past St. Francis Nov 26
- Longhorns put perfect mark on line versus Red Flash Nov 25
- Iowa routs FDU Dec 9
- Hawkeyes hope to avoid upset in clash with visiting Knights Dec 9
- Wildcats put up 100 points in Miller's 100th win Nov 19
- Miller seeks milestone win as Wildcats host Knights Nov 18
- FDU names Herenda men's hoops coach Apr 26