Western Carolina holds off Elon 83-81Jan 17, 2010 - 2:31 AM CULLOWHEE, N.C.(AP) -- Brandon Giles scored 25 points and Western Carolina held off Elon in an 83-81 win on Saturday night.
Mike Williams finished with 15 points for the Catamounts (14-3, 4-1 Southern Conference), who have won two in a row. Harouna Mutombo had 11 points, and Kendall Russell and Richie Gordon each had 10.
Western Carolina took a 62-53 lead on Williams' layup with 11:10 left in the second half. The Phoenix (3-14, 1-5) attempted a rally, cutting the Catamounts' lead down to one point with 3:08 left on a 3-pointer by Chris Long, who finished with 15 points.
But Elon would never pull ahead of Western Carolina, as the Catamounts took an 82-78 lead on Giles' three-point play. Giles went 8-for-12 from the floor and 4-for-7 from beyond the arc.
Drew Spradlin led Elon with 22 points, while T.J. Douglas hit seven 3-pointers to score 21.
- NCAA BB
WESTRN CAROLINA 83 FINAL
Jan 16 9:07 PM
- NCAA BB
WESTRN CAROLINA 39 HALFTIME
Jan 16 7:57 PM
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Dec 15
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Dec 15
- Western Carolina extends Hunter's contract Jun 6
- Wofford holds off Western Carolina for SoCon crown Mar 11
- Catamounts and Terriers meet for SoCon crown Mar 10
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- UMass continues winning ways, downs Elon Jan 18
- Minutemen meet Phoenix in non-league tussle Jan 18
- Duke routs Elon Dec 31
- Elon seeks upset of No. 7 Duke Dec 31
- Dinwiddie leads Colorado over Elon Dec 14
- No. 21 Colorado puts streak on the line against Elon Dec 13