Florida beats LSU 72-58 for 1st SEC victoryJan 17, 2010 - 3:09 AM By MARK LONG AP Sports Writer
GAINESVILLE, Fla.(AP) -- Kenny Boynton scored 18 points, Vernon Macklin added 14 and Florida beat LSU 72-58 Saturday night for its first Southeastern Conference win.
Erving Walker chipped in 14 points and six assists for the Gators, who opened the second half with a 23-6 run that turned a close game into a rout.
Alex Tyus started the spurt with a pair of shots in the paint, Boynton followed with a 3-pointer and Macklin added an emphatic dunk on a fast break that prompted the Tigers (9-8, 0-3) to call timeout.
It didn't slow Florida (12-5, 1-2) down. Boynton hit two more 3s, and the Gators cruised the rest of the way.
Tasmin Mitchell led LSU with 17 points, 15 of them in the first half, but the Tigers didn't have anyone else in double figures.
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- LSU coach: Guard Tim Quarterman leaving for NBA draft Mar 28
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- LSU freshman Ben Simmons announces he'll enter the NBA draft Mar 21
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- LSU coach takes responsibility for disappointing season Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- LSU coach: Tigers won't play in any postseason tourneys Mar 13
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7