Cooks' layup lifts South Alabama over Troy 69-67Jan 17, 2010 - 4:21 AM MOBILE, Ala.(AP) -- Allyn Cooks drove the length of the court for a buzzer-beating layup that gave South Alabama a 69-67 victory over Troy on Saturday night.
Martino Brock, who led the Jaguars (12-7, 4-3 Sun Belt Conference) in scoring with 17 points, capped a 10-0 run with a layup and free throw for a 65-62 lead with 2:47 remaining.
A dunk by Yamene Coleman brought the Trojans (9-9, 4-3) back within one before a jumper by Cooks put the Jaguars ahead 67-64 with 40 seconds left.
After each team took a timeout, Troy's Michael Vogler drilled a 3-pointer, his only one of the night in four attempts, to tie it with 7 seconds remaining.
Tim Williams scored 16 points, Bryan Sherrer 15 and Cooks 11 for South Alabama.
Coleman led Troy with 20 points on 10-of-14 shooting and had 14 rebounds. It was his fifth double-double of the season.
- No. 17 Miami returns home to beat South Alabama Nov 28
- Miami tries to avoid upset in clash with South Alabama Nov 28
- Gonzaga defeats South Alabama Dec 15
- South Alabama hits road to challenge No. 20 Gonzaga Dec 14
- Troy names Cunningham new men's basketball coach Mar 26
- South Alabama names Graves new basketball coach Mar 25
- South Alabama's Arrow retires Dec 19
- South Alabama upends No. 25 Florida State Nov 10
- South Alabama comes calling on No. 25 Florida State Nov 9
- No. 17 Mississippi State routs Troy Dec 10
- Trojans hit road seeking upset of 17th-ranked Bulldogs Dec 10
- No. 25 Florida State routs South Alabama Nov 20