Saint Mary's holds off Portland for 77-72 victoryJan 17, 2010 - 5:21 AM MORAGA, Calif.(AP) -- Omar Samhan overcame a sluggish start and scored 24 of his 28 points in the second half, Mickey McConnell made four free throws in the final 13 seconds and Saint Mary's held off a late Portland charge to beat the Pilots 77-72 on Saturday night.
McConnell finished with 17 points while Ben Allen added 16 for the Gaels (16-3, 3-1 West Coast Conference), who rebounded after falling to No. 17 Gonzaga 89-82 on Thursday.
Robin Smeulders had a career-high 29 points with eight rebounds and Nik Raivio added 14 points for Portland (10-7, 1-2), which lost for the second time in three games to fall two games behind Gonzaga in the conference.
- Terry Porter introduced as new Portland Pilots coach Apr 5
- Portland Pilots hire Terry Porter as basketball coach Apr 2
- Wintering sparks Portland past Abilene Christian, 87-57 Nov 23
- Gonzaga comes alive late to top Saint Mary's Feb 22
- Zags seek multiple milestones in WCC showdown with Gaels Feb 21
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Portland Jan 30
- Pilots hope to fly past third-ranked Bulldogs Jan 29
- No. 3 Gonzaga pulls away to rout St. Mary's Jan 23
- Gaels and Zags square off in pivotal WCC clash Jan 22
- Gonzaga fends off Portland Jan 3
- Portland hosts No. 7 Gonzaga in WCC showdown Jan 3
- Harrison guides St. John's past St. Mary's Dec 20